On the southwest corner of Carlisle and Stiles Sts., Jin Feng Real Estate Investment LLC is planning seven new triplexes, ostensibly for student housing. Currently, this corner includes a vacant lot, a shell that used to be a speakeasy, and a garage that was turned into rental apartments at some point in the past.
Looking south down Carlisle St.
Looking west, on Stiles St.
All of these structures will be torn down and replaced, provided the developer receives approval from the ZBA. This seems like good news, as the new buildings will do away with the blighted corner building. Additionally, the same developer owns a number of properties directly to the south which also serve as student housing.
What’s particularly interesting to us about this project is that it’s closer…
Several readers have asked us about the ongoing construction at 665 N Broad St., where a large steel strucure has replaced several low rise buildings that were torn down several months ago.
In the past
For years, the Laborers District Council of the Metropolitan Area of Philadelphia and Vicinity has called this location home. And now, after years of planning, they are in the process of constructing a new home base for their organization. Architects Elias Organization has designed a five-story, LEED certified structure that’s currently being built by P. Agnes. Construction should be finished by the end of the year.
Looking south down Broad St.
This building sits in between the better than you’d expect Alessandro’s Pizza and the rapidly downsizing…
Just a stone’s throw away from Temple University at 1314 N. Broad Street, the Legendary Blue Horizon currently sits unused. The building has a long and interesting history: built in 1865 in the French Second Empire architectural style (same as City Hall) as three separate mansions for rich guys, it was combined in 1914 into one large building for the fraternal organization, Loyal Order of the Moose. It was at this time that a ballroom, bar and auditorium was added; in 1961 it was sold and renovated again to become the boxing arena we’ve all come to know. It operated for years, hosting about 1,500 fans per event, with local and rising boxing stars passing through its doors; it was also a venue for weddings, meetings and parties. In 2002, David McShane painted a mural on the northern side…